Monday, February 13, 2006

That 4 Letter Word







It’s that time of the year again.
I agree that for those who’re really neck deep in love, almost every day should be a ‘Valentine’s Day’.
Anyways these days we have a ‘day’ for anything and everything…friendship day, father’s day, mother’s day, teacher’s day, smile day, blood donation day, aids day, earth day, fool’s day….hell coming to think of it….we might as well have a ‘today is nothing’ day for some days of the year when there is actually nothing happening.
But I’m not gonna be a spoilsport now, perhaps because this particular day is devoted to that most inexplicable of human emotions which has triggered the most creative of human talents throughout time, and continues to be the single largest driving force behind most poetry, music, drama and movies.

To describe something so complex, deep and beautiful is frankly beyond the grasp of a few words, but while scanning my old mailbox a few days back, I came across a mail sent to me by a friend around 4 years ago, which I’d incidentally not deleted maybe because of the beauty of it.
I think I’ll just put it up here as a token of my respect for this emotion called love:

My husband works at office a lot , I love him for his steady nature, and I love the warm feeling when I lean against his broad shoulders. Two years of courtship and now, three years into marriage, I would have to admit, that I am getting tired of it. The reasons of me loving him before, has now transformed into the cause of all my restlessness.

I am a sentimental woman and extremely sensitive when it comes to a relationship and my feelings, I yearn for the romantic moments, like a little girl yearning for candy. My husband, is my complete opposite, his lack of sensitivity, and the inability of bringing romantic moments into our marriage has disheartened me about love. One day, I finally decided to tell him my decision, that I wanted a divorce.

"Why?" he asked, shocked. "I am tired, there are no reasons for everything in the world!" I answered.

He kept silent the whole night, seems to be in deep thought with a lighted cigarette at all times. My feeling of disappointment only increased, here was a man who can't even express his predicament, what else can I hope from him? And finally he asked me:" What can I do to change your mind?"

Somebody said it right, it's hard to change a person's personality, and I guess, I have started losing faith in him. Looking deep into his eyes I slowly answered : "Here is the question, if you can answer and convince my heart, I will change my mind.
Let's say, I want a flower located on the face of a mountain cliff, and we both are sure that picking the flower will cause your death, will you do it for me?"

He said :" I will give you your answer tomorrow...." My hopes just sank by listening to his response.
I woke up the next morning to find him gone, and saw a piece of paper with his scratchy handwriting, underneath a milk glass, on the dining table near the front door, that goes....

My dear,
"I would not pick that flower for you, but please allow me to explain the reasons further.."
This first line was already breaking my heart. I continued reading.
"When you use the computer you always mess up the Software programs, and you cry in front of the screen, I have to save my fingers so that I can help to restore the programs.

You always leave the house keys behind, thus I have to save my legs to rush home to open the door for you.
You love travelling but always lose your way in a new city, I have to save my eyes to show you the way.
You always have the cramps whenever your "good friend" approaches every month, I have to save my palms so that I can calm the cramps in your tummy.
You like to stay indoors, and I worry that you will be infected by infantile autism. I have to save my mouth to tell you jokes and stories to cure your boredom.
You always stare at the computer, and that will do nothing good for your eyes, I have to save my eyes so that when we grow old, I can help to clip your nails, and help to remove those annoying white hairs.
So I can also hold your hand while strolling down the beach, as you enjoy the sunshine and the beautiful sand... and tell you the colour of flowers, just like the colour of the glow on your young face...

Thus, my dear, unless I am sure that there is someone who loves you more than I do... I could not pick that flower yet, and die.. "
My tears fell on the letter, and blurred the ink of his handwriting... and as I continue reading...
"Now, that you have finished reading my answer, if you are satisfied, please open the front door for I am standing outside bringing your favorite bread and fresh milk...

I rush to pull open the door, and saw his anxious face, clutching tightly with his hands, the milk bottle and loaf of bread....
Now I am very sure that no one will ever love me as much as he does, and I have decided to leave the flower alone...
That's life, and love. When one is surrounded by love, the feeling of excitement fades away, and one tends to ignore the true love that lies in between the peace and dullness.

Love shows up in all forms, even very small and cheeky forms, it has never been a model, it could be the most dull and boring form.. .

I do not think it can be described in a better way than that.

It's really difficult to pick up just 1 favourite love song, but then after i analysed my list of fav's, this 1 just stood out with it's mesmerising lyrics .....check out the video :





TRULY MADLY DEEPLY (Savage Garden)



"Love is a hidden fire, A pleasant sore, A delicious poison, A delectable pain, An agreeable torment, A sweet and throbbing wound, A gentle death."

27 comments:

Dewdrop said...

Nice expressive letter and a lovely song there and now you can dedicate it to that 'special one' on my blog :) Happy V-day

Shikha said...

Nice post:)..happy valentines day!

Jewel Rays said...

beauitful story. happy valentine's day to you.

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

awwwwww .....

this post wa good ... i too have this Fwd stored in my system.

and thanx a lot for the video .... had never watched it completely.

thanx a lot

and hope u have a great day too :)))

Jewel Rays said...

I use to be nuts about this song at one point of time. :) haha...

rebel_on_loose said...

Here's wishing a Happy Valentine's Day to everyone!!


Alive_N_Confused ->
:) Glad u liked that....
NJoy the day with ur special sum1!


DewDrop ->
Thnx for appreciating that ma'am....sure wud do that...u too have a fun-filled day!


Shikha ->
Gracias Senorita....u too have a Happy Valentine's! :)


My_UnVeilings ->
Thank u Amy....to u too ! :)


Nalini ->
Hey!! Ur most welcome! :)
Thank u madam....yea it was indeed a most touching letter. Hope u have a nice time...TC!


Deepa ->
Awwww....
Thanks a ton...yea it's really worth keeping.
Glad 2 know u enjoyed the video too...
Ur welcome and hope u have a fun-filled day as well!


My_UnVeilings ->
Yea Amy...this was my fav wen it came out in '97...but wen i thought of my alltime fav's now i still found it as refreshing...:)

Nisha said...

Hey Rebel... firstly u picked up one of my favvvv Savage garden songs... secondly, the story was extremely touching... the moral is that we often tend to take ppl we love for granted that we tend to forget their real importance, and realise it only when they are gone...and then it is too late..!

Hope u had a great day... Actually read ur post last night, but didn't comment coz I had to run for my bus... so was a lil tied up with work...now thankfully free :D

Cheers!
Icy

sebia said...

Hi,,
Nice post..u got great knack of expressing,ur thoughts ina crisp graceful manner:)
For me love is,a very strange emotion..i dont believe in normal rotten affairs..dating 1 and if dont like him/her..moving on.and changing trains every next station..yeah call me prude or conservative ..but for me Love is more of a companionship,a friendship where u laugh with eachother not at 1 another,a lover is ur best friend,with whom u can share stuff,which u can share with ur mom,ur best friend,ur boss,even urr teacher:)...and its a contineous battle,yeah battle to keep this relationship from going stale:)
though im not in valentines day celebration..my only take on it are sm random bouqets send by sm unknown ppl ..who had no metal enough in them to show there faces:p..but i do enjoi the fervor and excitement in the air..its nice 2 see ppl going berserk over sweet nuthings:)
i wrote a poem once at love..let me paste it here
I wanna know what love is:--
a way for an expression
effulgence in twisted passion..
it weaves a serenity which rhymes
or pain which blinds...
Its a vista craved with pains
agony transmitting through veins
harsh tears falling like rains
solace lost in restrains
wishes shrouded in haze
cravings lost in maze,,
a yearning for sunshine
in the moonless night,
agony,happiness,bliss
every thing at its height
all emotions entwined 2gether
in this phase..
Love is strange,
but stranger are its ways:)
(true piscean in me always prevails:0)
tc..
have fun

the_ego_has_landed said...

hm..sebia's a piscean...so am i!! :) hee hee..anyway...i loved this song...too bad they broke up

the_ego_has_landed said...

hm..sebia's a piscean...so am i!! :) hee hee..anyway...i loved this song...too bad they broke up

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

woohie ...

how was the day ?

My Ramblings... said...

Happy Valentines..
Beautiful is the only word to describe this. :)
"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness."-Friedrich Nietzsche

rebel_on_loose said...

Icy ->
Hey...yea Icy that is actually 1 of their best songs(i like 'I Want U' and 'To the Moon and Back' too)...
I agree with ur interpretation of the underlying moral too... :)
I'm surprised ur free on V-Day evening.
My day was just as any other day(except it was a Red-dress code at work!)
Hope u had fun!


Sebia ->
Ooh...whadda comment! :)
Thank u Sebs...thnx again for recognising my lil' efforts at expressing myself.
I am in 100% agreement with ur interpretation and views on this complex subject...abt wht it is (and wht it is not)...
"and its a contineous battle,yeah battle to keep this relationship from going stale"
True!
Whoa...getting random bouquets by unknown ppl! U never tried to find out who they were?
True,i like the fervour in the air as well...
Lovely poem Sebia...specially this part...
"wishes shrouded in haze
cravings lost in maze,,
a yearning for sunshine
in the moonless night,
agony,happiness,bliss
every thing at its height
all emotions entwined 2gether"
Piscean hun... :)
Hope u had fun!!




The_Ego_Has_Landed ->
Hey...u too a piscean! Yea bad they broke up...but then Darren Hayes has come up with sum real gud songs as solo too(especially Insatiable)
Cheers!



Deepa ->
Hey...mine was just as usual...worked till 6 pm...then went back home where i had my flat all to myself(my flatmate's off to US for a month) and had a large Pizza home delivered...and watched some episodes of Friends!
How ws urs ?


My_Ramblings ->
Belated Valentine's to u too! :)
Thank u ma'am!
"There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness."
Lovely.

TC All!

rebel_on_loose said...

Oh and i've just updated another Video here...1 of the best shot music videos i guess...i luv the way it unfolds just like a movie...chk it out.(lyrics n mp3 on the rite sidebar)

Khushi said...

hey,
a very sweet story :)
happy valentine's day :)

Nisha said...

Looks like we have very similar tastes in music...!! Another song I just abs adore! The words, the music.... awesome is the word.. :)

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

boring !

meatloaf ... awesome !!!!! i love them

rebel_on_loose said...

Khushi ->
Hey...thank u :)
Belated Valentine's Day to u too!


Kiran ->
Awww really Kiran? Yea i agree 'twas very touching...
U'll surely find sum1 like that pretty soon!
Belated Valentine's to u too!


Icy ->
O yea i guess so too Icy!:)
Glad 2 know u like this 1 as well...true abt the lyrics n music..."awesome".


Deepa ->
"boring" ???
Yea at least this number by meatloaf is "awesome"...like i said above!
:)

TC n Cheers!

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

true ... u r right

jugni said...

hi,
a beautiful story must say the last lines say a lot.

Keshi said...

Valentines day usually suxx for me...:*( This year I got many roses from my many cousin bros in NZ - so it wasnt too bad lol!

How u been mate?

Keshi.

rebel_on_loose said...

Deepa ->
:)

Jugs ->
Welcome n thnx for dropping by...
thank u...yea i guess they do! :)


Keshi ->
Hey there! So how ws ur cousin's marriage in NZ? Still in KiwiLand or back Down Under ?
Lol...gud u got roses(even if from cousin bros)...at least u had a gud time!
I've been fine mate...u tell me whts the latest with u ?

TC!!

Keshi said...

Oh the wedding went really well and I had a great time over there, thanks :)

Keshi.

SeePearrl said...

hey ...lovely post :)

rebel_on_loose said...

Keshi ->
Gr8 to know u had a ball of a time Keshi!! :)


White_Forest ->
Hey thnx for dropping by!
Thank u :)

Urvashi said...

First of all, let me tell you that I nearly fell off my chair when "Truly Madly Deeply" started to play out of the blue!! :)) It is one of my all time favourite songs!
The letter was so beautiful! It talks about a more practical kind of love, one that all of us need. It was so touching! My eyes actually teared up a bit.

rebel_on_loose said...

Phoenix_Rises ->
:) Truly Madly Deeply is the kind of song tht can do that 2 u!It is amazing.
Thank u...exactly tht kind!
Awwww wipe those tears off sweetie!
TC!