Monday, January 30, 2006

Vaastu Shastra



Or you can call it Feng Shui if you may. Arrey, nothing to do with that Ramu Verma’s jump in your seats horror flick. Though it’s a horror story alright. Let me cut to the chase…ever since I’d shifted to my previous house around six months back, things had not quite been going right for me. Apart from the fact that it was located in one of the busiest areas of Bangalore, from where I’d to spend an average of 3 hours in transit to and from work everyday, it’s disoriented architecture and lack of sunlight in the rooms didn’t quite help either. And wait, the silver lining of the cloud is yet to come.
My next door(or rather window) neighbours, whose bedroom balcony happened to be just a few merciful feet away from 1 of my bedroom’s window, seemed hell bent on proving their ‘happy married life’ status to me on quite a few occasions.(Now don’t ask me how!) And the baap of all irritations, it seemed their over enthusiastic children had signed a long term contract with some nemesis from my previous incarnation, and thus dutifully started bawling and crying themselves hoarse at dot 5 am every morning.
And to think this was the place I was supposed to return to from a hard day at work.
Charming, very freakin’ Charming!
So ultimately better sense dawned on me 2 weeks back and I along with another buddy of mine started looking for an apartment somewhere closer to work. We fortunately found a seemingly decent 2 bedroom-hall-kitchen in a good locality with 1 balcony facing a lake and another a coconut grove! So we met up with the landlord and lady, who happened to be a cute elderly Sikh couple. My friend started the talk, and was bluntly told that the rent was 10 grands. He tried to negotiate but to no avail. “Step aside and let ME handle the situation now”, I proudly proclaimed. Ahem.

Me: “Ohho Paaji! Tusi Kithon ? “
Translation: O Big Brother! Where art thou from ?
(The remaining conversation in the Queen’s language for your convenience)

Him: I’m from Jalandhar. You seem to know Punjabi too, are you from….
Me: Yes Sir! Straight from the heart of the capital city!
Him: (All smiles) Wah! Now we’re talking! So tell me, would you be staying with your family or….(eyes suspiciously)
Me: No way…just we two bachelors here.
Him: Hmmm…okk…well these are family apartments and we don’t generally give it to bachelors for obvious reasons.(Now I was wondering why everyone said that! I mean are bachelors some kind-of anti social elements for whom a marriage certificate is a pre-requisite to social acceptance!)
But since you’re ‘apna banda’, I’ll be considerate, and that too for 9.5 ! (grins)

Me: Umm sir, that’s really kind of you, but you see we’re kind of new to our jobs…blah blah blah….i’m new to the city….blah blah blah…
Note: Negotiation using sympathy ;)

Him: (It works!) Ohho, I can understand, I was new here once too, and I remember how difficult things were for me then…..hmm okk 9 grands then..
Me: (Pushing for more with my best innocent face) Frankly Sir, our budget was around 8.5, so if you can….
Him: (Tired look) Now I don’t know! Talk to my wife for the rest…..

Me: (To his wife) Oh ma’am….i’m sure you understand….


And of course charming her was easy! :> So we finally got it for 8.5 grands !
So that was how I negotiated an awesome deal and moved into this beautiful apartment, from where I now get this soothing view of a lake from my balcony as I sip my morning cup of tea everyday!

Later, my friend was astonished at how we managed to negotiate so much. “Dude, are you sure….you know…like the place is not haunted or something!”
Hmmm…. I never thought about that! Well, it doesn’t seem to be so far, but just in case it is, then I’ll get another interesting story to share!!
:D



(Pics: From Top – The lakeview from my balcony, middle – the coconut grove from the 2nd balcony, last – Sunset from our terrace)

25 comments:

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

1st

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

am too exhausted to comment .... debugging this code is getting to me .. sorry

where do u stay ?

Shikha said...

Where i stay right now,there's a lab just a few feet away..and seems like only kids come there to have their blood tested..then my house owner has this antique sewing machine which she starts at 6am and then she starts it again at 11pm...gotta move soooon

Dewdrop said...

ahh another story with pictures. Nice :) I love the tall palms swaying with reverence. what place is that?

Nisha said...

I enjoyed reading that post Rebel..!! Well done...and congrats on making the deal click.. I hope ur new house suits u just fine :)

rebel_on_loose said...

Deepa ->
Hey!
Damn...i can understand...debugging bugs me sumtimes too...talk abt the woes of a s/w engg!
I was earlier at Airport Road, and now this place is in BTM Layout Phase-2, how abt u ??


Shikha ->
Lol, talk abt kids and their lungpower! And a sewing machine too! Damn...u better get moving fast! :>


DewDrop ->
Thnx :) Well yea, this view was the main reason v took this place...it's the view of the lake from my balcony in BTM Layout in Bangalore.


Alive_n_Confused ->
:) Well thank u, i'm still learning the art of negotiation.


Icy ->
Glad 2 know u enjoyed it Icy! :) Thnx and yea, i hope this would sumhow make things better 4 me now!


Cheers!!!

My Ramblings... said...

Aha! The bhai chaara effect huh?
Lol!
But good negotiation! Pat yourself on the back. :D
We gals do that sometimes too and it really helps. People are actually glad when they hear the familiar lingo. :D

rebel_on_loose said...

My_Ramblings ->
Hehe...well yea sumtimes the 'bhai chaara effect' does seem to work! Lol.
Thank u...it ws hard but i did as u said... :D
Ahaan of course gals r sumtimes even better at negotiation!
True ppl r always more receptive wen they hear their own lingo outside their own hometowns.... :)

Anonymous said...

ok so now i know whom to call for negotiations!!;;-)
anyways....cool view! reminds me of moi city!*sigh*
TC n enjoy the new place..bhoot hain too unke saath enjoy kejiye!:P
Tata,
Divs

sebia said...

that was the wittiest post from u,sorry now a days im so bz,with my sis being hospitalized and stuff,tht i cant even read my fav blogs:)
www.bhg.com
go to this site to get sm lovely ideas ,abt decorating ur new place..
and may GOD bless u,and shower u with all kinda happiness in ur new home..
tc

Tarun said...

Did u also try to hum some tunes of latest Daler Mehndi/Gurdass Mann?
Pics are good :-) Vaastu.....applicable only when the next door is 500 feet away.Life is already a hell in most of India's top cities special if people have just joined into jobs.
Nice post keep posting.

Jewel Rays said...

And of course charming her was easy!

haha!

hey congrats on getting a new place facing da lake. (WOW) and the price u guys wanted!

Enjoy da stay! :D

rebel_on_loose said...

Divya ->
Welcome back... :) Hehe yea sure ma'am i'd do my best to clinch the deal for u ;)
Thank u...yea the view is really soothing...so which city does it remind u of? Thnx, i'll enjoy,hehe jee hum har haal mein enjoy karne walon mein hain,bhoot honge to unke saath bhi party kar lenge!:>
TC n Ciao!


Sebia ->
Oh,Thank u ma'am...(**takes a bow**)Coming from a person with as razor sharp a wit as u,this is surely a compliment. Damn wht happened 2 ur sis...i really hope n pray she gets well soon.
Thank u,i'd surely go thru this site for some ideas,and thnx a ton for the kind blessings too. :)
U too take care n look after ur sis!
TC!!


Tarun ->
Hi there.Well dude wen i say i can speak Punjabi that doesn't mean i can sing in it too!:>(Btw Daler Mehnndi is crap...try Hans Raj Hans) Thnx for appreciating the pics...yea maybe not the next door neighbours, but thnx to being on the top floor thr r no next window neighbours for a loong distance around.And tht "just joined" thing was a manipulation of facts to negotiate,actually i've been working for more than 1.5 years now. :>
Thnx again n cya around!



My_UnVeilings ->
Hey Amy! Haha yes it actually was. ;)
Thank u, and yea i hope 2 enjoy the stay here now...u too enjoy ur vacation!

TC n Ciao!!

the_ego_has_landed said...

DUDE! congrats!!!!:) yeah even tho we're living in diversity talking the same lang. and all helps..fortunately and unfortunately! I just read ur reply to deepa...awesome..cause I was wondering where the hell do u stay??!!! no lakes in kmangala ..sad..nice pics:)

Anonymous said...

I envy you. Really. Sipping Morning tea, while sharing a fabulous view. I used to even read stories and textbook climbing on my favourite litchi tree. And now I hang on the second floor,watching other buildings in the vicinity.

rebel_on_loose said...

The_Ego_Has_Landed ->
BABE! Thank u!!! :) yup....i'm sure ...and though " ami bangla jani na" but i'm sure thr u wud score!
Hmmmm true,sad thr r no lakes in Kmangla, but hey...u got Forum n PVR closeby!
Thnx 4 the appreciation...:)
Ciao!


Alka ->
Hello and thnx for dropping by...
Hehe...well yea i can understand being able to sip ur morning tea with such a view is pretty rare in the cities of today! Whoa u seemed to have been quite athletic! Hey i'm on the 4th floor here...though i don't regret it... :)
TC n Keep Visiting!

Ciao!!

the_ego_has_landed said...

hm...how did ya know I'm bong?!

rebel_on_loose said...

The_Ego_Has_Landed ->
Hehe...let's just say i'm a clairvoyant too! ;)

Urvashi said...

Wow! Nice views! The only thing that I can see from my balcony is the busy main road and more apartment buildings! Sigh! But of course, sometimes the sky takes on beautiful shades of pink and orange...

Tarun said...

Rang De Basanti's title track by Daler is hip I think.There is lot of Punjabi songs on the air it is a bit stiffling.The classical bhangra drums seems to be missing these days

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

Hi

Finally , got to read the post in peace ....
This was funny .... so , u can butter people ... huh ????
Maybe , the house is haunted ..... tonight , maybe u'll here screams of " Bhoot hoon main " :))))
Take care :)

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

i liked the conversation .....

seee uuuuuu
tttttttttcccccccccccc

(my imitation of " The Bhoot ")

rebel_on_loose said...

Phoenix Rises ->
Thank u...yea i know u can't expect much of a view especially with those highrises in bombay...gud ur able to enjoy the hues of a coastal sky though!:)


Tarun ->
Yea i agree...i just heard it this week and i think it's 1 of Mehndi's best songs...ah talk abt Bhangra drums (it's called Dhol)...makes me nostalgic!



Deepa ->
Hey...so u finally read it ... :)
Yea it was meant 2 be funny since i thought i'd written enuff of serious posts...well i can never 'butter' any1...i just utilised my linguistic skills to the optimum. ;)
Damn ur scaring me now! :)
Glad 2 know u liked it...
Ur imitation of 'Bhoot' was nice...
Here's mine...
CYAAAAA
TTCCCCCCC. (Lol)

Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! »

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site... Alarm home security system wireless cod bontril sale County in orange pilates studio Scsi unformat blonde bimbos Naked mature man Male pants wetting Projectors multimedia Usa mitsubishi dealers Disneys stock for todays stock