Monday, April 03, 2006

Work It Up !



Yea finally after a gap of about 2 months I’ve managed to rejoin a gym, this time the one at my workplace itself. Even though working out without any company can be monotonous and difficult to maintain as a routine, yet the importance of some kind of a daily workout can just not be overemphasized, especially considering the sedentary lifestyle of most of today’s young generation.

I think I can trace my penchant for fitness to my roots – my great grandfather who expired last year at age 97 used to religiously take his morning walks till I saw him last. To the best of my knowledge he never suffered from any major ailment, used to read without using spectacles and best of all – took his tea with full 2 teaspoons of sugar…. A rarity beyond age 40 these days! My grandfather also continues uninterrupted with his Yoga and walks to this day…ever since my granny passed away he keeps touring around the country and on tough pilgrimages…all thanks to his fitness level. Though unfortunately my dad had to stop gymming after suffering a back injury during his body building days….. which shows how cautious one should be with heavy weight training.
So even while I wasn’t ‘working out’ in a gym, I used to ensure that I did my daily dose of the bare minimum activity required….using stairs instead of the lift at home and work, a nightly walk to the local restaurant for dinner etc. besides some basic simple exercises that I’ll share with you.
To begin with any kind of exercise, you must first know your body type and hence the category of workouts that would best suit your requirements. Those who’re fortunate enough to be blessed with a lean framed body that doesn’t accumulate much fat despite voracious eating habits, can easily concentrate more on weight training exercises to shapen up and strengthen the muscles, while those with a broader and heavier frame with tendency to gain weight should focus more on stamina building cardiovascular workouts that also help them to keep flexible, such as jogging(or treadmill), aerobics etc.
Ideal Height-Weight Chart
Again it depends on what’s your ultimate goal…pumping up those muscles or loosing that extra flab.

In case you’ve joined a gym there are any number of workouts that the instructor can help you out with, however I’ll discuss the ones you can do at home and still be fighting fit. You can do these at any time of the day (at least a 2 hour gap after a meal) and they just take around 30 to 45 minutes of your precious time.

1.Warm up/ Cardio :
To start off, just find any open space like your balcony/terrace and start with warming up by stretching and then jogging / skipping for a minimum of 10-15 minutes.

2.Push-Ups:
Lie flat on the ground with your stomach against the floor. Place you palms on the ground just below shoulder level and raise your entire body in a straight line, then back down and repeat. Females can take upto 2 sets of 20 each while guys should increase to about 100 – 2 sets of 50 each. Good for strengthening the arms and shoulders.

3.Crunches:
Lie flat on you back, keep both hands behind your head and slowly raise your upper half to a 45 degree angle, then move back and repeat in 2 sets of 20 each. Awesome for working up the upper abdominal muscles of your tummy.

4.Leg Raises:
Keep lying flat on your back, join both feet together and raise both your legs slowly upwards to a 90 degree angle with the floor, then slowly bring them down and keep them suspended just above the ground. Repeat in 2 sets of 20 each and you’ll feel that ugly fat on your lower abs melting away. Also good for hamstrings.

5.Sit-Ups:
Stand straight and hold a chair or any waist level object with 1 hand for support. Raise your left leg and fold it behind the erect right leg. Now bend your right knee and sit all the way down and then slowly raise yourself up. Repeat for about 20 times and then the same with the other leg. Great for knees and shins.

That’s It! Still it’s unfortunate that an overwhelming majority of us Indians continue to ignore the basic minimum workout needed by their body mostly citing excuses such as ‘unnecessary narcissism’ to paucity of time. Well my friend, if Anil Ambani can take out 1.5 hours daily from his schedule for his body, I’m sure we all can spare at least half an hour.
Remember your body is just another machine, and like any machine needs to be constantly oiled and checked to prevent repair by a mechanic, so should you work up this one to prevent damage control by a doctor later. It’s not just about a longer life, but a healthier one where you can make full use of this God given tool.

It’s your body.
Love it.
Pamper it.
Take care of it.
It just might be the only thing that would serve you till your last moment on this planet.

23 comments:

sebia said...

bang bang bang..im back:)
without the glass of tang
first of all haha..fr the picture on top,,is it ARNALD?
sheesh..he looks as if hes suffering frm sm severe stomach disorder..do u also make such faces while doing ur wrkouts:)
wow thts so nice abt ur grandfather..my father also walks fr almost 10 kms everyday..and always try his best to tk me along..thn he walks ,completely frgetting tht sm lowly mortal is also walking besides him,who cant match his pace all the time:(thn if mom asks us to bring sm grocery on our way back..everything is dumped on tht poor mortal..2 ghaseetofy all tht stuff..so tht poor mortal(obviously me:(can b seen almost lost beneath all those eggs and bread lifafas,and thn he keeps on yelling..why cant u walk fast?(who needs those weights?..

thn..to make matters wrse..he choses tht exact time to talk abt all the deadlier issues against humanity..frm global warming 2 ..a major threat against nubile nymphets..(i-e obviously my fixation 2wards jackie collins and mills n boon:p)
abt using stairs..sheesh..im so scared of lifts..cuz i menaged to get stuck in them fr 3 times..(those r 3 seperate and most hilarious incidents..frm which i will torture u laters)..so i always use stairs or atleast tries 2..if i cant..thn damn..i try my best to enact a major oscar deserving performance..bfre going inside the spaceship:)
waisay..i hate all these excercizes..uff koun itni mehnat keray..see im a true specimen of extreme laziness:p
waisay i ws in my gymnastics team in the school..and every year i am a life guard and swimming instructor in british schools summer camp..and i swim everyday ..and i must b the only specimen who can stay inside the pool fr 8-9 hours w.t any problem(guess in my past life i must b sm mermaid:p..and can swim fr hours at stretch..whnever smthing bothers me..here i go..and the amount of laps depends upon the problem..tht how big it is:)
ok my comment is getting longer thn ur post i guess:p and i dont wanna fry ur bheja any more..so here i go
and by the way..i really admire ur crism expression of writing ur posts..its a great art:)
tc

sebia said...

crisp..and wow im frst again:p

the_ego_has_landed said...

hey!:) i know i inspired this post:p hehehe...my gymning is going good..and glad u started..nice one..i didnt know about the sit ups..should try it.

BTW i ve been terribly busy...collg till 6-30 pm n all..special classes:( so will be dropping by rarely..but visited urs first!lol..ta!

Keshi said...

very encouraging post Rebbbz, ty!

I was a 3-times per week Gym person till last year...I loved arobics - anything with dancing and music :) I even did Yoga, Jazz etc. But stopped lately cos I didnt want to spend too much time in a gym whereas I could get the same fitness outside enjoying nature...so I go for long walks now and it's so beautiful and relaxing to the mind as well. I dance at home with music on :)
I might join the gym again after a break but for now Im happy with this routine.


**Still it’s unfortunate that an overwhelming majority of us Indians continue to ignore the basic minimum workout needed by their body mostly citing excuses such as ‘unnecessary narcissism’ to paucity of time.

thats so true...we need to realise that our bodies need the regular exercise and healthy eating. Never take it for granted.

Keshi.

My Ramblings... said...

exercise...exercise....
Well I dont exercise but I do play badminton and go for walks...I think I need to have some kind of routine though hmmm...

rebel_on_loose said...

Sebia ->
bang bang...hehe...damn whrs my glass of Tang! :p
Hehe...yea tht is Arnold Schwarzenegger Sebia jee...and he looks like he has a 'severe stomach disorder' coz tht must b around a 100 kgs tht he's lifting!
Hehe...i guess everyone makes those faces wen lifting heavy weights!
Ok great 2 know ur dad's a morning walker as well...and gud tht he drags u along...hehe...gud u get ur weight training thru picking eggs n bread lifafas...lol. :)
Haha...so u get ur required doses of current affairs n 'dadly' warnings against the deadly mills n boons + jackie collins!
Hmmm so u also manage to use stairs most of the time....ha don't tell me u got stuck in a lift 3 times...do torture me with tht info sumtime! :p
ROTFL@Oscar deserving performance...ur hillarious! :D
Waisey u hate these exercises....'kaun itni mehnat karey'! Arrey Sebia jee aapki body hai aapko hi mehnat karni hai!
Wow...u were in the gymnastics team! So u were being modest earlier hun!
Lifeguard n swimming instructor at British school's summer camp!(British school.....hey which city r u in btw? )
Gulp...ur reminding me of Babewatch...err...Baywatch...lol.
But seriously that's awesome Sebia...swimming is among the BEST exercises...works out entire body from top 2 bottom.I manage it only on weekends now!
Hehe...thnx for tht looong comment...i like 2 have my bheja fried sumtimes ;)
Thnx for the appreciation again n yea...u were first!
TC!


The_Ego_Has_Landed ->
Hey welcome back Ego....yup in a way i guess u did! :)
Glad 2 know ur still gymming...i admire ur dedication at getting up early morning for it...tht's sumthing i always struggle with.
Yup sit-ups r gud for the leg muscles...u absolutely shud.
Yea i figured u must've been busy....waiting 4 a new post from u.Thnx for blessing me with thy first visit here! I'm honoured! :)
TC n Have Fun!


Keshi ->
Hey thr Keshi...hows it going with u now? My pleasure...glad u found it encouraging!
Good 2 know u used to gym and do aerobics till recently...i totally agree with ur theory...u can get it with nature walks as well!I'm sure Sydney has sum great outdoors for tht.
"Never Take it for Granted".
U said it babe.
NJoy!


My_Ramblings ->
Hey Ramblings...it's not about exercise but any physical activity...baddy and walking is just fine...just don't loose the habit.
Yup make it a 'routine' :)
Adios!

rebel_on_loose said...

Elle ->
Welcome back... :)
Ahh...thank God... finally i managed to inspire sumbody. ;)
It's an absolute must...n it's never too late to get started!

Keshi said...

yep...Syd has some beautiful places..during lunch time so many ppl r jogging/walking in the botanical gardens :)

Keshi.

SeePearrl said...

great decision!
...me also working in gym since 4-5 months...as you said it often gets difficult to gym regularly..i manage to work out atleast 3-4 days in a week :D

Jewel Rays said...

It’s your body.
Love it.
Pamper it.
Take care of it


Love this part. :) Truth!! its a saying i would carry around with me just for some reminder and motivation..:)

Great post!! infromative on some parts. I prefer sports to normal cardio workout. but now that i am outta school have no choice but to take time for cardio, warm ups and etc..:)

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

right you are ...

therez great satisfaction in exercising ur body .. isnt there ??? and esp when ur body starts responding the right way !

btw , am listening to abba's gimme gimme ..... the hung up song bugged me so much into getting abba's coz i badly wanted to compare ... both songs are awesome ... as are the videos ...

if u wanna view the abba's video , here is the link :

http://www.abbasite.com/playlist/play_video.php?file=13.wmv&bw=high

rebel_on_loose said...

Keshi ->
That's great 2 know Keshi...i think Sydney harbour with it's opera house must b the most beautiful harbour in the damn world!
:)

White_Forest ->
Ohkk...tht sounds great..3-4 days a week is more than sufficient lady. :) Way 2 Go !


Amy ->
Thank u Amy :) BTW this saying is courtesy yours truly...hehe....great to know this wud motivate u !
Yea i can understand once u start working n all it can b difficult 2 carry on with sports n stuff...but hey cardio's awesome as well!


Deepa ->
Ah satisfaction is THE word Deepa. Absolutely u can feel it wen ur body starts responding and specially wen u go to sleep!
Hey i checked out this ABBA song...thnx for the link... yup this is awesome as well...the background music is almost the same but i feel Madonna's utilised it in sumwhat a better way. :)

TC ALL!

Shivangi Misra said...

Hey Manhar,
Thanks for dropping by my blog but I'll only be sure you liked it if I see you visiting more often!

Keshi said...

I work right in front of it :)

Keshi.

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

but , if u have heard the actual song , this kinda jars on you

Jewel Rays said...

Cardio is alright but it can't beat the best work out eva..hahaha..Dancing all thru da night...*smiles* haha..

rebel_on_loose said...

Shivangi ->
Hello there and welcome...
Well i did like it n i'm surely gonna visit often...
Hope the same from u!
TC!

Keshi ->
Whoa...i'm green with envy now! :)

Deepa ->
Well i agree...afterall Goadfather 1 is always considered THE classic...even if part 2 was more refined! :)

Amy ->
*smiles* Oh tell me abt it Amy...abso-freakin-lutely!

Urvashi said...

Hmmm... I know I should join a gym, or do some simple exercises at home but just don't, coz am tres lazy!!
Maybe I'll follow your 30 minutes routine now. Let's see... :D

BTW, is that Arnold???? He looks horrible!! He looled so good in "Junior"!!

rebel_on_loose said...

Hey Phoenix...yup u shud follow my "30 minutes routine"... hehe i luv the way it sounds...like i'll b coming out with my own tele-shopping network video soon... :D
Yup thts Mr. Schwarzenegger (naam ho to aisa!) Aw cmon now Urvi.... the guy's held the title of Mr. Universe for 7 years! "Junior"...now don't tell me u mean he looked gud wen he ws shown pregnant!!

Nirwa Mehta said...

:O :O :O

Such amazing tips.. If only I could get my lazy self up.. and do some real exercise.. I must understand that apart from my fingers, my rest of teh body also needs it.. :-S

I'll start it - Soon! Hopefully!

Nirwa

rebel_on_loose said...

Nirwa ->
Hehe....yes madam apart from ur fingers the rest of the body also needs it.....
Let's hope u stick 2 this pledge! :p

Anonymous said...

Hi Friend! You have a great blog over here!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my az lyrics site.
Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

best bet diet Tired of diets that fail? It doesn�t necessarily mean that all diets don�t work. What you need is a diet that fits your eating habits and your lifestyle. For reviews of today�s top diets and free diet tips please visit best bet diet