Friday, December 16, 2005

The Complete Man?


"Whatever their future, at the dawn of their lives, men seek a noble vision of man's nature and of life's potential." – The Fountainhead

Nah, this is obviously not about the Raymond’s ad or discussing the finer points of Fountainhead. This is about my drive for the pursuit of perfection(?, or is it striving to lead a fuller, comprehensive life, whatever that is supposed to mean), for as long as I can remember.
When I was a kid, a very deep sense of right and wrong were drilled into my gullible mind. I was told to follow an existing code of conduct, by following which I was to have achieved perfect manhood (or adulthood or whatever) one day.
It was all pretty straightforward, until the notion of ‘perfection’ started encompassing more and more prerequisites. E.g. What was an early liking to Tintins and Enid Blytons, soon graduated to Grishams and Sheldons and now Lapierres, was NOT considered at that time to be a manly (or boyish) pursuit, at least by my granny. “Why don’t you stop reading this trash and go out and play with the other boys?”, she would often remark. Anyways, like most Indian boys, I too tried my hands at the only game that drives this nation crazy, and soon realized that I was not to be the next Kapil Dev. (He was the icon from my city Chandigarh in the early 90’s)
And so I started hunting for alternate areas for achievement, and soon joined Karate classes. By the time I’d cleared the White and Orange levels, I didn’t see myself following Jackie Chan’s footsteps either. The same fate awaited Swimming, Horse Riding, BallRoom dancing, Roller Skating, Sketching and God knows what not. I was wild with the passion to discover my hidden talent(If there was ever any). Yet I was just glad that I was experimenting with anything and everything under the sun.
A proper masculine physique had always held a special place in the typical North Indian male mindset ( especially so in my case since my dad happened to have won quite a few Bodybuilding championships in his college days), so whenever his friends would visit, I would always be grilled on when would I start flexing my muscles. So as soon as I reached the 11th standard, I started hitting the gym regularly, shuttling it with my coaching classes. And Yessir, I did manage to pump them up, Sallu style, though when I flunked my Math exam during the mid-terms that year, I was forced to renounce my ‘Schwarzeneggerism’ and start hitting some books instead.

The last and the most enticing bug that bit me during that period was that of modeling. Oh Cmon now, how many of you have not, at one point or another, stood in front of the mirror and wondered if you were the next Brad Pitt(Lol, or Angelina Jolie!), so stop giggling. Anyways I’m digressing. So this real fast buddy of mine who happened to be a cool dude as well as the son of a hotshot IGP, claimed to have some amazing contacts with the who’s who of Bombay’s Glam industry. So one fine day (12th Standard) he tells me he’s going to Bombay for 15 days to get his portfolio done and circulated to his contacts and modeling agencies, and I was invited to come along. When I asked my folks I was simply told that there would be thousands like me already struggling there, and anyways I was not to miss precious days of my coaching classes (entrance exams were drawing near). Now this point struck a note with me( I wasn’t too confident with my dusky looks anyways) and so I somewhat reluctantly agreed. That friend of mine went on to get shortlisted for the final 7 in Grasim Mr. India next year! (Though I have to admit he was a REAL hunk).
So am I disappointed at ending up as yet another engineer in this ocean of techies? Hell No, this is my bread and butter at least for now.

The quest for a fuller life has definitely slowed down now, though not extinct. There are still many things I feel I have to experience before I either burn out or become too occupied – learning French, the Tango, Bungee jumping, biking to Ladakh, Scuba diving, just to name a few.

And the Million Dollar question – Do I feel like a ‘Complete’ Man yet?
To tell you the truth – I couldn’t care less.


Jack of all trades, Master of none?
- A Master can be boring, at least I’m having some fun.
;-)

15 comments:

Shikha said...

You sound just like me:))..i keep saying,life is so short and there are so many things to do..I have tried my hand at dancing ,guitar,piano,painting,karate,trying to learn french by myself..and have plans to do many many more things..
The only field where I stuck on for quite a long time was dance classes..and like you said,being a jack of all trades is more fun:)

sebia said...

HI!!!
V nice post.powerful grip on ur wrds.
A journey 2 find ur goal or ultimate destination..but dont u think u r seeking in wrong pathos?
All these are shallow stuff 2 complete a PERSON..If u really wanna complete ur self try 2 find ur personal legend by frst find ur own self...by discovering ur spirit..only thn u can succeed in ur quest fr EMERALD TABLET...as per PAULO COELHO
IF U TRY FIND UR PERSONAL LEGEND THE WHOLE WORLD WILL CONSPIRE TO HELP U...
Who cares that how much is ur polo handicap,or how much muscle power..and how many times ur bat hit the ball 2 beyond the pavillion..
wht matters is..WHAT KINDA HUMAN BEING U R? and what have u done so far to make ur self a better person...and how much happiness u have menaged to exude in the lives of the ppl :)
sheesh now im going philosophical..and bossy
SO AAJ KA BHASHEN YAHIN PAY SAMAPT!!!
SALAM NAMASTE:)

sebia said...

sheesh so many typos:((

rebel_on_loose said...

Shikha -> No wonder, coz i drew the inspiration for this post from ur entry on the 'bad,bad mood' :-)
Yea,jack of all trades is fun,just look around u...the possibilities are endless!

Sebia -> Thank U again! That ws a nice bhashan :) I've read The Alchemist too, and unfortunately still find myself looking for my 'Calling'. "How much happiness i've managed to exude in the lives of other ppl ?" Hmmmmmm u got me thinking!

Nisha said...

Jack of all trades... but u can't say Master at none. U've tried ur hand with different stuff... and u know that even if u weren't too good with it, u made an attempt. And that is brave.

To feel like the 'complete' man.. Just do things that u love to do. Care none for the others. If u like to read, do it with passion. It's better than doing something u don't wanna do. Or doing something coz someone else wanted u to do.

I'm sure when u were younger it wud hv been a different scene, as Mom n Dad were always there to make your decisions...but now that u've grown u can make our own... Bottom line is do what u like and enjoy the most.. :)

To tell you the truth – I couldn’t care less.

Now that's the perfect attitude :-)

Cheers!

rebel_on_loose said...

Icy -> "...but now that u've grown u can make our own... ".
I can't help but smile.U make a 25 yr ol' man feel like a 16 yr ol boy. :)
But sincerely thnx a ton for the encouragement n support...this is wht keeps me going with the perfect attitude!
Cheers!

Keshi said...

brilliant post!

And Im the same :) Keep saying life is short and there's so much more I wanna learn, say and do...hehehehe...


**Do I feel like a ‘Complete’ Man yet?To tell you the truth – I
couldn’t care less.

Great thinking! :) Way to go mate...

Keshi.

still_figuring_out said...

i enjoyed reading this post! lol, it is so sweet and funny, how you jumped from one sport to another, searching for something that will click. ;) i guess everyone does that while growing up; just trying to find a place (our own place!) in the world :) i`m sorry i did not visit your blog sooner, but i just read your comment via my email..i wonder why it did not appear on my blog comment section! anyway, you have an interesting blog :)

rebel_on_loose said...

Kiran -> Whoaaa ur really energetic! :) My name..."Whts in a name"...as Shakes baby said,u can call me rebel...or Mustang? Your line by line analysis of my writeup was really cute.Thnxx a ton !!! And keep visiting and Blogging!

Keshi -> Yeah life's short and don't v all wanna make the most of it! :) Enjoy ur break...

Still_figuring_out -> A big thank u for the appreciation, it's never too late,strange u cudn't read my comments, hope u'll b able to the next time. Welcome and keep visiting!

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

AAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ,.... F.O.U.N.T.A.I.N H.E.A.D is my bible ...

was my saviour kinda thing in college ... then realised that i am going against its prinicple by following it blindly ...

but still is my fav book ..

~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

Dont make me think about life ... Sigh !!!!

rebel_on_loose said...

Deepa, Fountainhead has been every young man(or woman's) bible i guess, it's amazing how it can fire up ur imagination and make u wanna take on the rest of the world alone.
Awww cmon,i read u had a bad day...think abt the +ve things in ur life so far!

kannan udayarajan said...

u seem so desperate...did you read Kafka or Sartre recently ?

:)

rebel_on_loose said...

Kannan->
U call it desperation, i prefer zeal,
what it truly is, the future would reveal.

Anonymous said...

Are you a Complete Man yet?
Oh yes you Are... as good as it gets!
Dream on... :)